Tuesday, April 26, 2016

My digiscoping experience with the Konuspot 80 so far


I purchased a Konuspot 80 about a year ago with the intention of doing some digiscoping.  Eagle Optics defines digiscoping as:

Digiscoping is a unique kind of photography using a digital camera and a field spotting scope. Now you can expand your ability to photograph the wonders of nature by putting your digital camera to work with any spotting scope.

On this past Sunday, I finally got around to trying out the Konuspot 80 as a digiscope. I was not following a particular tutorial or procedure, I was basically just remembering the steps from what I had read in the not too distant past.

The Konuspot 80 is a 20X-60X x 80 scope. Mine came with a T type camera adapter and a small tripod.

First thing I noticed is the tripod is too flimsy to be of much use. Of course it didn't helpl that I was using a makeshift table constructed of deck rail, deck chairs, and large books. But I think it's safe to say a better tripod is in order. There is a lot of droop in the supplied tripod. At the magnifications we are dealing with the droop is a major problem.

My suggestion is that whatever tripod you use, get it mounted on a solid surface.

Next, I attached the camera adapter. I had planned on using my Olympus SH-1 point and shoot. There would be no mechanical connection between the camera and scope. I was unable to get a decent shot by hand-holding the camera up to the eyepiece. The fact that I had an unstable tripod setup didn't help the situation, nor did the fact that one hand was always on the camera, leaving the other to adjust the position of the scope, focus of the scope, and magnification of the scope. I quit using the SH-1 without a single image.

I got my Olympus OMD-EM1 and fitted it with a 50mm F2 macro lens. It was easier to hold this camera/lens combination up to the scope eyepiece. Using live view on the camera, I was able to get a few shots - all of which were not as sharp as they might have been. Again, the issue was having enough hands to do everything required. I gave up pretty quickly.

I came in to regroup. I realized I needed someway to attach the camera to the scope. I ordered a T to micro 4/3rds converter for the EM-1. This way I will have the camera mechanically connected to the scope and will have both hands free for other things like positioning, focus, and magnification.

So, if the adapter gets here this week I will try again this weekend.

Other issues/comments.

  1. The images in the scope are sharp and bright. I think they will make good photos.
  1. I was working in the shade, which required a high ISO for the photos. The brighter the view the better.
  1. The bokeh with the scope was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment